Elliptical Training The Unsung King of Cardio
Elliptical trainers are a workout accessory that allows you to train your full body in one motion. This makes ellipticals beneficial to anyone who wants to improve their strength & fitness. Ellipticals first appeared on the market in 1990 and since, have been a staple in any gym around the country. They were made as a substitute for treadmills, which many people struggle with due to joint damage.
What are the benefits?
Ellipticals are very low-impact. This means that the motion that is made on ellipticals is smooth and controlled, meaning less impact on your joints. Compare the smooth elliptical movement to the harsh movement made on a treadmill and you’ll see the difference between the shock impact on your joints in every step.
As well as avoiding wear and tear on your joints, ellipticals are also hugely beneficial as they can work your full body with a single exercise. The touchpoints on an elliptical will force many muscle groups into action including your arms, chest, back, legs. With this, it trains your muscles for fitness and strength. The pushing and pulling of handles can make for a great upper body workout. Also try variation to hit different areas harder – reverse the motion to hit hamstrings, incline can increase glute activation and simply putting more effort into one element can target any muscle group effectively.
Finally, the most obvious benefit is fitness. Elliptical training is cardio, meaning that the exercise will both increase your cardiovascular fitness and burn calories.
Who is it good for?
Elliptical training can be beneficial for a wide array of people:
- Anyone who currently has weak joints.
- Anyone who want to protect their joints while exercising.
- Anyone recovering from injury. Elliptical training is perfect cardio for when you are recovering from muscle strains or joint injuries. Many runners suffer from wear and tear or even overtraining causing joint issues, therefore ellipticals can be a brilliant addition to keep training while protecting your joints.
- Anyone working on cardiovascular health can hugely benefit from elliptical training. Both long, less intense workouts and shorter intense workouts will both get your heart rate up and put your fitness to the test.
- Anyone wanting to shed some weight. Interval training might be the most effective way of burning calories but if that sort of training doesn’t suit you, also long steady programs or highly intense programs will use up large amounts of energy.
- Athletes who want to give their joints a rest while still training their muscles.
With so many variations of elliptical trainers available on the market, you should know what to look out for and what extra features could you most benefit from. Some key points for you when buying:
- Tracking. Any insights into your workouts are a great advantage. Keep an eye out for inbuilt programs, heart rate monitors, screen size and connectivity.
- Stride length. Due to the nature of the movement, ellipticals do not allow for a huge variation of stride. It is especially important for taller people to make sure that the stride length on the machine suits them.
- Live coaching. Many of our ellipticals come with a free 1-year membership to live training.
- Front or rear driving. Front driving gives you a bit more of a stair stepping motion whereas rear drives offers a walking or jogging motion. Both can be beneficial in their own way.
- Storage. Many of our ellipticals are foldable making them easy to store out of the way. Also look for those with wheels so moving it around is easy.
- Extra features. Ellipticals can have multiple features that make them better and more suited to you. Keep an eye out for extras such as Bluetooth connectivity, inbuilt speakers, fan, pulse measurement, bottle holder and more.
|Sole E25||BH||Sole E35||Spirit CE800|
||24 Levels||20 Levels||40 Levels|
|Water Bottle Holder
|Dimensions||179 × 60 × 180cm||185 × 70 × 170cm||209 × 82 × 180cm||198 × 71 × 170cm|
|Max User Weight||150Kg||130Kg||150Kg||204Kg|
|Display||6.5" LCD||Backlit LCD||7.5" LCD||Large Blue |
|Console Feedback||Distance, Pulse,|
|Distance, Heart |
|Distance, Heart |
|Distance, Speed, |
|Additional Features||Audio Speakers,|
|Transport Wheels||Audio Speakers,